Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish back in June 2010. It is currently hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl and, as is stated on the blog, it was “born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.”
This week’s Top Ten Tuesday is kind of an open-ended one. This week, we get to talk about reasons you love… anything really! I thought about it and decided to go with my favorite genre: fantasy. I have a lot more than ten reasons, but I’ll try to be brief!
- Nostalgia: Fantasy was the genre I first gravitated towards as a young reader. It will always hold a special place in my heart 💕
- Magic: I’ve always been fascinated by the concept of magic and fantasy is typically my go-to for magical things.
- Epic tales: I do love a good epic story, though I sometimes have difficulties finishing them! Fantasy has an abundance of epic tales that span multiple books I can get lost in.
- Immersion: Speaking of getting lost, I feel like fantasy is the best genre when you’re looking for something to completely engulf you.
- Creatures: I do love reading about mythical creatures, like dragons and fae. Fantasy is clutch when it comes to fulfilling my needs for creatures not seen in this world.
- Series: This is kind of attached to “epic tales”, but I really enjoy getting into a good series. A lot of times, these series are in fantasy. Well… at least the ones that I tend to enjoy. Now whether or not I finish the series… *cough*
- Therapy: Sometimes, when I’m in a foul mood or am feeling blue, I’ll turn to books to help me feel better. Usually, I’ll pick up a fantasy tale so I don’t have to think about the real world for a little while.
- Diversity: This is a more recent thing and can, of course, be found across genres, but I’m loving the current trend of diverse fantasy! I love being able to pick up a fantasy novel that feature characters that look like me.
- Covers: Not gonna lie, I’m a total sucker for a pretty cover. And fantasy books tend to have the prettiest covers! Totally my opinion, of course, but there have been so many stunning fantasy covers in the last few years!
- Themes: Though the themes I tend to love in books are ubiquitous across genres, I tend to enjoy them more if they are in a fantasy setting. It’s just interesting to see them explored in a setting where there are additional obstacles thrown in the way… like dragons.
What are some reasons you love your favorite genre? Did you do your own Top Ten Tuesday? Let me know in the comments!
And, as always, happy reading!